Friday, July 15, 2011

Surfing US....Australia :)

Today was our first surfing class for my Outdoor Pursuits class.  We took a bus up to Yeppoon, where we met our teacher, and our surfing instructor.  We then rode down with them to a beach where he said had good waves for beginners like us:)  We got there, got our wetsuits on, because the ocean is pretty cold since its offically winter here, but I wouldnt call it winter at all.  The water was around 60-65 degrees, so kinda cold.  The wet suit helps a lot and having to fight the waves crashing down on you warms you up, and wears you out!

I started off on a smaller board, which are very hard to get up on and stay up on.  I then went to the long boards which were much easier!!  I stood up a couple times.  I didnt realize how much it would wear me out!!  Im excited to go back next week to see what I can do!  Now some pictures for your enjoyment!
 Learning how to stand up :)

 Oh yeah! :D


 The board was like 2x bigger than me
 After surfing we were all worn out!! We got back had lunch, showered all the salt water off, and all passed out!  Tonight we decided we would go to the rodeo.  There was one downtown, and we figured why not!  It was a lot of fun!  Surprisingly I have never been to one, so it was cool getting to see it. 
 And now a picture for your enjoyment.... Rice Bubbles....haha! Totally cracked me up when i saw this!! :)

3 comments:

  1. wtg on the surfing Lauren! and wait a sec...you grew up in central IL but had to go to Australia to see a rodeo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know right! I have no idea how I have not ever been to one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool sister dear. You'll have to teach us all how to surf next year in Hawaii! Love the rice bubbles! You have to find more things like that.

    ReplyDelete