Monday, September 5, 2011

Canoeing and Kayaking Trip

For my Outdoor Pursuits class, we had a canoeing and kayaking camping trip this weekend.  Our teacher picked us up Sat morining, and we headed up to a camping resort thing about an hour and a half away.  It was a really pretty place in the woods, with cabins, and a creek.  We stayed in a little cabin.  It was made for only 6 people and we had 12 so we were all kind stuffed in there, but it wasnt so bad.   The first day we canoed.  2 people were in each canoe.  For the first couple hours we practiced some skill , how to steer, turn,stop, etc...  Then we went and ate lunch.  We cooked hot dogs and sausages in our cabin.  Then after we went back and took a trip down the creek in the canoe.  It was about 2km each way.  It was really beautiful, out in the middle of all the trees.


That night, we went to the restaurant that they had on the camping grounds.  There was live music, which was cool, because the guy singing had a iPad, and let us come up there and sing karaoke.  There was also an engagement party going on there, so needless to say we made it fun for them!! 

The only downfall about this trip was we had a little friend in out cabin.  I was laying in bed ready to fall asleep, and I hear something under my bed.  At first i didnt think anything of it, but then i heard it again, i look down, and i see a mouse/rat running into its hole, which is right under my bed.  I freak out to say the least.  I dont think it would have bothered me so much if it wasnt right under my bed.  I tried to forget about it, but i kept hearing it running around under my bed.  So I was paranoid the whole time that it was giong to get on my bed and attack me while i slept.  haha...i know...  So the whole night I held a flashlight in my hand and everytime i heard something i would turn in on a make sure it wasnt on me.  This mouse had some energy, becuase it kept running around hte room! I would hear it in one place then in anohter a second later.  I thought that there were at least like 4 mice!  Finally sometime in the night it was in a bag near someones head, which woke him up.  He found hte bag, and swipped it up, and ran it outside.  Thank goodness! because i dont know if I would have slept at all, if I kept hearing that stupid mouse all night!!  The next morning we got up, made breakfast, then headed to go kayaking.  Kayaking is only one person.  We learning a couple thing but most of the stuff we had learned the day before we used that day too.  We practiced a little bit on how to steer.  The little kayaks that we had were very hard to steer and keep straight, so it was kind of frustrating when you couldnt keep it going the direction that you wanted.  Needless to say i made a lot of circles....haha.  Then we took a trip the other way down the creek.  After a long day of canoeing my arms were very sore, and you had to use a lot of energy to keep the kayaking straight, so it was very tiring.  But after a while, i got the hang of it, and it was easier. 

Overall, the weekend was a blast!!!  I slept like a baby when I got back! It was a fun, but tiring weekend!   I am so glad I got to take this class, becuase I got to do so many things that I would not have gotten to do otherwise!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment